Monday, October 10, 2011

About our Oldest

Bryce is now in 1st grade. He is an amazing reader, already in 3rd/4th grade level since last year. We are going through a little bit of a struggle with him as far as paying attention to detail, listening, staying on focus. I had some concerns over the past few years about a possible ADHD diagnosis. As many of you know I have worked in the medical field in Pediatrics and I have seen a ton of kids with this disease. Bryce is not so out of control that he is in some major need of help, but he is having some problems at home and at school. It is hard when you are dealing with this issue, because I do not want to just shove medication down my son's throat. I do believe that parents and doctors are giving this diagnosis out too frequently and too often, but I also believe that Bryce does have a chemical inbalance somewhere in that head of his. His doctor and I have also discussed the possibility of Aspergers, which if he did have it, it would only be a small section of this disease. The reason for this is because of Bryce's speaking and the way his mind has a very detailed memory. He is also extremely smart for his age (not bragging!) So I have decided to try doing the Organic way to see if this helps with his focus, outbursts, and anxiety. Wish us luck!!!!

1 comment: