Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Getting Better Everyday

I took Bryce off the Adderall a little over a week ago. His emotions were so out of control. Even with the new medication for his depression, the outbursts were a constant thing. I thought long and hard about this, and I realized a few things. First, I actually feel worse about having my child on Adderall than I do on Zoloft. This may because I have seen and lived depression/anxiety. I was just having a hard time coping with the thought that my 6 year old body was been run through with amphetamines. Second, I just knew that all this emotional stuff was becoming worse with the Adderall, and I couldn't bare to see my son like that anymore. So I took him off of it. I called his doctor and told him "I am taking Bryce off the Adderall. I will pay close attention to watch for any withdrawal symptoms. I don't want him on this right now. I want to try other things." He said "OK."

So now over a week later and after no withdrawal symptoms and no real set backs, he is the same old Bryce as before, except one thing.....HE IS HAVING HARDLY ANY OUTBURSTS OR MELTDOWNS. The Zoloft is really working for him. He is happy about things, he is saying Thank you to us (which is huge, not having to remind him to say it!) He is falling asleep a little better (still needs some work). The main thing though is the crying, I am just so happy to see my son, well happy!!!!

We still take it one day at a time, like I am sure we will for quite awhile, but today was a good day and I am satisfied about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment